Sunday, 18 October 2009

Leicester v Ospreys

Leicester Tigers and the Ospreys fought out a pulsating 32 all draw in one of the games of the opening round of the Heineken cup.

Leicester raced into an 8-0 lead with a 2nd minute try from Johne Murphy and Staunton scoring a simple penalty minutes later.

The Ospreys responded strongly ith the centre pairing of Hook and Bowe startingw to click, leading to tries for Williams and Bowe. Biggar’s accurate boot punished Leicester scoring two conversions, two penalties and a drop goal, making the score 26-8 to the away side.

The injury hit Tigers, missing eight key players including the likes of Toby Flood and Geordan Murphy, bounced back straight away. Last minute replacement Twelvetrees, making his debut, scored a try after Lee Byrne uncharacteristically dropped a high ball. Twelvetrees converted his own try but failed to score the penalty resulting from Mike Phillips dropping a knee on the debutant whilst in the act of scoring. The frantic first half came to a close with the Ospreys leading 26-15.

And it was the Ospreys, looking to make an impact on the European stage, who started brightly in the second half with Biggar kicking another penalty. The 14 point lead didn’t last long as Amarosino scored a try for Leicester which was converted by Twelvetrees.

The defences played a key role in the second half and both teams had large periods of possession and territory but only managed to score a penalty each. This was until the last five minutes where Leicester piled on the pressure on the Ospreys twenty two. Leicester’s persistence paid off as Staunton managed to break through and score a try with two minutes left on the clock. Twelvetrees kept his cool and managed to convert the try, levelling the scores.

The remaining two minutes were frantic with Biggar’s attempted drop goal closed down, giving Leicester a final chance to attack, but the Ospreys defence held strong and eventually the referee blew his whistle for full time, bringing a close to a thrilling encounter. Both teams were disappointed as the Ospreys didn’t manage to hold onto their large first half lead and Leicester failed to make the most of their late chances and momentum. However both teams will have been happy not to lose their opening game of the competition.